Monday, September 12, 2011

Visa-venture

Today we had classes as usual, but then a group of us had to proceed to the Stadtbüro to finish applying for a Visa. Talk about German dependence on mountains of paperwork...

We are all waiting in a room that seems to be the standard for state buildings (harsh lighting, cheap nasty seats, awkward echos, occasional slamming doors, and stomping of heels). We all sat in chairs facing "The Door." The door that, if opened, you could not see what was behind it until you were in there. We had to go one at a time and as each person came back out they would joke around about being interrogated by a giant squad of Polizei. My turn is up. Deep breaths. Just hold your passport and application. Whoops dropped it. Aight, we cool.

I open The Door and this intimidating looking Frau flags me down to her cubicle. We'll call her Frau Visa for the sake of anonymity. Brown hair, brown eyes, sharp face. Doesn't match her cubicle AT ALL. It's covered in plants. Lots and lots and lots of plants with little stuffed creatures like squirrels and bunnies. I sit down.

"Deutsch oder English?"

I told her it didn't matter.

"Okay, we try English. Pass?"

Hand her my passport. She snatches it and checks that the application fits the passport info.

"Now I collect information."

A few moments of paperwork later...

"Okay, now finger."

Me: Wie bitte?

"Um... how is it called... um... finger... mark?"

Me: Finger print?

"Ja, feengar preent! I am sorry, I use only my school English."

It was at this point I explained to her that she may switch to German because I can understand it just fine. Then her Brumhilda-German side began to melt and all of a sudden she fit her atmosphere. Yes, she became fluffy stuffed squirrels and bunnies.

A few finger prints, a pamphlet all about my elektronische Visa, and a short conversation about German vs. English later... I was out the door and on my way to the next Stadtbüro office where I had to register with the city of Marburg. Lady spoke NO English, which was fine. Lots of "bedeutet's"on my end, but it wasn't too bad at all. The rest of the day was spent doing homework at the Mensa and then going shopping for groceries. Tonight i'm going to get together with some people and watch, "Jesus Camp." Should be a grand old time.

Berlin on Friday!

Tschuess from Marburg!

No comments:

Post a Comment